[H-GEN] what to do with old P100, P200?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Jul 31 03:01:01 EDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 03:33:41PM +1000, David Jericho wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 03:13:39PM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> > > I thought the "heaviest, most bloated" trophy went to Windows?
> > The term "window manager" contains an implicit "runs under X".
> Do I really have to take a screen shot? :)
> rdesktop, Win4Lin and VMware all seem to fit the above bill :) If
> you're not running anything else under X, the above quite easily
> fit the description.

> Wondering why there was a note of pride about running Windows under X

It's pretty nice. Rather than telling people to drop to a dos box, you
can get a real Linux shell. And if the networking gets screwed up, you
have useful tools on both sides of the breakage. And all the hardware is
virtualised, so doing backups is a bit more plausible -- you can restore
to a completely different machine, as long as it's running Linux, X,
and Win4lin, without worrying about random hardware differences.

On the downside, win4lin doesn't really virtualise its devices as well as
it might, particularly annoying is that USB floppies don't work as A:/B:.
And, of course, the frontend is still Windows, with all the nastiness
that entails.

Cheers,
aj