[H-GEN] Mail setup

Robert Stanford rob at rotapile.com
Fri Jul 26 09:28:22 EDT 2002

> The problems I am having is what program do I need to setup on the server so that
> the workstations can access mail using IMAP?

since you sound new to this i'd recomend uwash imapd, it requires no configuration
and is totaly pamified thus your regular unix accounts will work with it.

What program to I use to act as a SMTP server for the local clients.

thats sendmail, for something with a config that approaches sanity you
could also look at exim  (www.exim.org)

> The other thing to consider is how do I configure these so that it works something like this
> 1. Domain is configured to be xxxx.bogus
> 2. Local user 1 (LU1) sends mail to LU2 - mail server just passes it straight over to LU2
> 3. LU1 sends mail to external address - mail server changes addresses (from and reply to)
> from LU1 at xxxx.bogus to LU1 at xxxx.com.au
if your using fetchmail i cant realy see the point of needing to do this
however your mta (i.e. sendmail,exim) can do both 2 and 3.

Robert Stanford