[H-GEN] router woes (redhat specific?)

Matthew Taylor bmatthewtaylor at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 22:20:18 EDT 2002

Had a go at configuring a router from a basic 'server' install using
redhat 7.3. (view to using 'router' as router/fileserver/occasional
spare workstation for guests)

2 nics installed & configured no problem. eth1 set to 192.168.1.1 at
boot, eth0 for adsl using roaring penguin on Telstra adsl. (problem -
more below)

Read the DHCP mini howto, installed dhcpd, got it running and clients
connecting no problem using pump or dhcpcd.

Read the IP Masquerade howto, discovered kernel module ip_tables appears
to be incorrectly configured. This appears the same on 2 redhat 7.3
boxes & 1 Redhat 7.2, do others have this problem?

I know I should be able to re-compile the kernel. The major hangup I
seem to hit is knowing which options to select to replicate the
distribution kernel. ie: if lsmod shows kernel module '8139too' (a nic
module I think?) how do I check my kernel configure process will create
that module?

[yes I've read the Module-HOWTO & Kernel-HOWTO tho I'm sure I've missed
the obvious solutions, reading again...]

Using IPChains seems to be the 'easiest' solution, but I'd much rather
'do it right'. Sample rulesets for either IPChains or IPTables would be
appreciated.

the attached file 'routerInfo' contains output from uname -a, ifconfig,
lsmod, and insmod ip_tables

The 'problem' I'm having with adsl has me baffled, previous
configurations on standalone box never presenting a problem.

adsl-setup runs through usual enter username etc etc.

adsl-start yields
/sbin/adsl-start: line 217: 2344 Terminated                    $CONNECT
"$@" >/dev/null 2>&1

pppoe-sniff  gave me
'great!, it looks like a standard PPPoE service.'

? ideas on what to look for/how?

also, when I ssh between boxes it is slow (3-4 secs at least), ping
times are less than 1ms. any ideas on what to look for?
and - if I want to setup my network so that I can
ssh somename
instead of
ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Should I be using dns? or something else? (I'll probably leave this for
now until I get everything else sorted, but something to aim for)

Mat.
[trying to learn how to fish and avoiding consultants talking about fish
meals.]