[H-GEN] Hosting possibilities

Hilton Travis QuarkAudioVisual at gmx.net
Fri Jan 25 18:03:12 EST 2002

Hi Michael,

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 08:35, Michael Anthon wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> I am currently using Telstra Big Puddle Direct for my home net access and
> for hosting of my domain and mail.  While this has been nice and stable it's
> also a bit limiting, particularly in the volume of data I can download for a
> reasonable fee [1].

Tel$tra's charges, whether home/business, and dialup/broadband are not
fun.  I agree.  This is probably why I don't have a single service with
them (phone, mobile and Cable are all with Optus).

> I have been looking for alternative solutions to the hosting so that I can
> move to another ISP for my dialin, one that has more reasonable rates.
> Unfortunately the costs of straight web hosting seem to be a little on the
> high side unless you don't want any more than about 50M of space and my
> photo collection is already well over that (and no, it's not porn).

50MB of non-porn - WOW - that should go in the Guinness Book of Records!

> I guess this leads me to my first question.  Does anybody know of a good
> hosting package?  I need php4 and mysql and maybe 250M or so of disk space.

Take a gander at www.phpwebhosting.com - they look like exactly what u r
after.  For US$9.95/month you get (basically) domain name hosting, Linux
servers on an OC-12 ring in the 'States, 125MB disk space (more upon
application, as long as it is not pr0n, and you seem to be OK with this
:), unmetered traffic, ssh and ftp access, unlimited pop3 mailboxes, and
on and on.  Worth taking a look, I'd say.

> The other thing I've been considering for a while is getting a group of
> people with similar requirements to me and building a server that can be
> co-hosted somewhere.  The only price I've gotten so far is a very rough
> $150/month, depending on data usage.  With about 10 people that would make
> it quite a reasonable setup.

If people are looking at this, I could possibly get a cheaper price per
rack unit that generally available - no promises.  Traffic, of course,
is billable at the standard Australian expensive rates.  I still think
that phpwebhosting is a REAL value for money alternative.

> Anyone got any thoughts or comments to throw at me?
>
> Cheers
> Michael
>
> [1]  All you broadband users can stop whining about caps right now!  To
> download 3G would cost me $570 and it comes from the same *&$#% network

Thoughts and comments above.  My condolences for your current ISP.  :)

Regards,
Hilton Travis