[H-GEN] Dialup to GU

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Jan 24 10:41:21 EST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Michael Anthon wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> Anyone here using pppd to dial in to GU?  I've got a mate with an account
> there and I was trying to lead him through setting it up on an powermac that
> I installed Debian on.  Unfortunately it keeps giving an authentication
> error (I think that's what it was), something like "Access denied" when
> looking at the pppd logs.  He's pretty sure that the password is right.

I don't dial to GU, but what sort of auth does it do?  Password,chap or
pap?  Remember, by default PPP will try to auth both ways.  It might be
that GU is authenticating him but he is not authenticating GU :)

Use the "noauth" option to ensure that peer does not need to authenticate
itself.  Don't set noauth if you intend to use pap or chap.

The "debug" option is a big help too.
Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   blake: up 14 days, 23:55,  3 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00