[H-GEN] Tape Drives

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sat Jan 5 23:13:26 EST 2002

No you misunderstand...with a catastrophic failure both hard drives and the
tape unit go (if they are in the same box) with a replaceable HDD you have
yesterdays on another HDD, with a tape drive you have yesterday's tape but
need a new tape deck...two IDE tape decks ~ $2700. My point about
catastrophe was that the back up drive needs to be in another box. Even RAID
will not protect against catastrophic failure if the drives are in the same
box.

I have no problem if people want to use tape, I just think current hard
drives are cheap enuff and reliable enuff to provide a more cost effective
solution...the drives dont have to be replaceable that was merely another
possibility...they can be fixed. Pat can do the sums, judge the compromises.