[H-GEN] Not a valid block device

Robert Kearey mammal at optushome.com.au
Wed Feb 13 21:25:03 EST 2002

David Jericho wrote:

> Would the RedHat Rat (aka the Modem Mammal) care to enlighten us?

It's a minor installer bug getting together with a minor kernel
packaging bug to produce Wierdness. Basically, the appropriate cd
driving modules don't get loaded. It's fixed in later kernels, along
with a slew of other stuff. Viva open source!

For the daring, the rawhide kernels include the latest Rik van Riel
reverse-mapping VM manager, and the O(1) scheduler, as well as IBM's jfs.

bash-2.05$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.17-0.16 (bhcompile at stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc
version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-102)) #1 Sun Feb 10
13:33:41 EST 2002
bash-2.05$

Works nicely for me on my desktop - don't stick it on anything important
unless your willing to give us lots of verbose and useful bug reports!

--
Rob K - Ich mag Chips mit brauner Soße
http://members.optushome.com.au/mammal