[H-GEN] Not a valid block device

David Jericho davidj at diskpig.org
Wed Feb 13 20:56:37 EST 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 11:19:02AM +1000, Paul Cornford wrote:
> I have just installed RH 7.2 on a P166 and now cannot mount the cdrom. I
> had no problem installing off the CD ROM and the same machine had RH 6.2
> running prior to this installation with CD ROM access.  When I try
> mounting it I get the message "mount: /dev/cdrom: is not a valid block
> device".

/sbin/modprobe cdrom; mount /dev/cdrom

will produce the desired result. Something I've noticed in RedHat 7.2
from time to time. I haven't quite placed the cause, but some
configurations do it, some don't, and it hasn't bothered me enough to
hunt the cause down.

Would the RedHat Rat (aka the Modem Mammal) care to enlighten us?

--
David Jericho