[H-GEN] ADSL Modems, Router/VPN Modems

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Aug 23 16:58:54 EDT 2002

James Lever wrote:

| I'm currently considering trashing my Tel$tra cable and going ADSL with
| one of the other providers and have learnt that it's considerably better
| to buy your modem/router elsewhere.

I think a decent ISP will provide satisfactory service whether
you use their modem or yours -- but they'll all be better able
to help if you use their modem.

| So far I've heard of the Dynalink, D-Link, NetGear, Netcomm, Alcatel.

My ISP provided an Alcatel modem, which has worked fine for me
although I would not choose one if I were to be making a choice
in the future.

| Currently I employ trusty old freebsd as my FW/Gateway/router, however,
| I'm considering more and more that an integrated or embedded solution
| may well be the G-O.

I hate black boxes.  I'd certainly stick to the freeBSD gateway
as it will just work with your ADSL connection.

Greg