[H-GEN] dns problems

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Tue Sep 4 03:42:00 EDT 2001

>He reckons ISDN (256k?) is far preferable for stability and reliability
>and consistent speed, though it's much more expensive than ADSL.

We have not noticed extreme speed swings but the network is less than 500
metres from the exchange and is located in the CBD area. I would be
surprised if 256Kb ISDN was as fast as the 1.5 Gb ADSL but I have not
actually measured speed. Anecdotally, a NAB Secure payments screen comes up
in seconds when it used to take minutes over 56 Kb dial-in.

I would be very surprised if 256 Kb ISDN was considered a viable proposition
against cable and ASDL. The data charges would just kill you. Also the setup
costs would not be that cheap either. From my recollection of 256 Kb ISDN it
is essentially 4 X 64 Kb ISDN links joined together and last time I looked
the comms equipment cost would bother me a bit. Maybe things have changed.

Some years ago a Humbugger was trying to drum up 16 bodies to share (a 64 Kd
ISDN I think). From memory it would have been about $16,000 a year plus
charges. I can't recall him advising he had the 16 takers.

Frank Brand