[H-GEN] dns problems

Ron sunburnt at hypermax.net.au
Wed Sep 5 00:34:30 EDT 2001

Sandra,

> why i scrapped my idea of going with telstra adsl and instead chose optus
> cable. If only they offered their services to business, even on a capped

Ah.

> my father helps run a branch of growzone out in the sticks (Thallon,
> Western Queensland) and they have 64k ISDN, 3 modems, 3 terminals and a
> router. Their speed is awesome and somewhat more consistent than anything
> I've witnessed with either telstra dialup or ADSL. It is unfortunate
> however that they have to pay by the megabyte.

Yep. Well as I learned some time back with plain old dialup, speed and
throughput do not fall on the same curve. My best dialup throughput out
here is achieved with my V90 modem pegged at 37,333. The second level
Telstra tech that ran me thru the MOLDS test to discover that told me if
I wanted stable, fast dialup get ISDN installed then only use analog
POTS.

They (NDC?) have to upgrade the copper, not using the ISDN side means no
megabyte charges, etc., and you can expect rock solid 52-53k from your
V90 modem.

More than one way to skin a bilby.

Ron Shafran
SC Designs