[H-GEN] PCI & IRQs

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Wed May 16 03:49:22 EDT 2001

>Hi all,
>
>I know RTFM should give me an answer to this, but I am lost. I have a
>machine with two ethernet cards (3Com something + D-Link DFE-530TX) both
>of which want to claim IRQ 10. Is there any standard way, from Linux, to
>tell a PCI card to try a different IRQ? Or do I just swap cards?

Actually, swapping slots (as Paul says) may work. Sometimes it does.

But if the allocation of IRQ is being done by the BIOS maybe it will not
change anything.

Cards can share a(n) IRQ if they are on a different memory address, that's
why we used to give the memory address in configuring earlier Linuxes. Can
you manually alter the memory address in the configuation? (In the good old
days before about 1994 the cards had jumpers for both IRQ and memory
address.

D-Link 530TX is a Tulip card IIRC. What is the 3 COM card. Sometimes the 3
COM's had a DOS utility that could be run to change the IRQ setting. Maybe
look up the utilities on the 3COM site.

Or just go into the Windows control panel and change the resources *joke
Raymond*.

>I really think that jumpers were easier than this! :-)

Have you ever tried it on a card with about 20 jumper pins and the codes for
the pins have disappeared....mmmm very interesting.

Frank Brand