[H-GEN] PCI & IRQs

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Sat May 19 04:35:20 EDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Frank Brand wrote:
> >I know RTFM should give me an answer to this, but I am lost. I have a
> >machine with two ethernet cards (3Com something + D-Link DFE-530TX) both
> >of which want to claim IRQ 10. Is there any standard way, from Linux, to
> >tell a PCI card to try a different IRQ? Or do I just swap cards?
>
> Actually, swapping slots (as Paul says) may work. Sometimes it does.
> But if the allocation of IRQ is being done by the BIOS maybe it will not
> change anything.

Swapping the cards around did, in the end, result in different IRQs being
assigned. Alas, this has not solved my problem. The sodding driver still
does not work. Searching around the network shows people having the same
trouble, helpful people provding suggestions, but no sign of a solution...

So I am going to throw the D-Link 530TX+ card off Kangaroo point and try
again. Does anyone out there have a machine with 2 NICs one of which is a
3COM (exact type unknown but it uses the 3c59x driver)?[1]

> D-Link 530TX is a Tulip card IIRC. What is the 3 COM card. Sometimes the 3
> COM's had a DOS utility that could be run to change the IRQ setting. Maybe
> look up the utilities on the 3COM site.

Hmm. The D-Link card came with the rtl driver so I'm assuming their not
screwing me around. Mind you their Linux drivers are downloaded in .EXE
self-extracting Zip format :-)

> >I really think that jumpers were easier than this! :-)
>
> Have you ever tried it on a card with about 20 jumper pins and the codes for
> the pins have disappeared....mmmm very interesting.

F'eh! At least there was the possibility of working it out, or you could
be sensible and give up in despair ;-) Dealing with Plug'n'Play is
playing at being Tantalus.

Cheers,

Raymond

[1] The beast itself is a RedHat 6.2 box kernel 2.2.12-20; upgrading this
    machine is not an option right now.

---
raymond at humbug.org.au                     All that we see, or seem,
                                    Is but a dream, within a dream.