[H-GEN] PCI & IRQs

Paul Gearon pag at PISoftware.com
Wed May 16 03:06:59 EDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Raymond Smith wrote:

> I know RTFM should give me an answer to this, but I am lost. I have a
> machine with two ethernet cards (3Com something + D-Link DFE-530TX) both
> of which want to claim IRQ 10. Is there any standard way, from Linux, to
> tell a PCI card to try a different IRQ? Or do I just swap cards?

Well PCI allows for IRQ sharing, but if it really isn't working
(indicating that some piece of hardware is buggy - possibly the BIOS) then
try moving one of the cards to another slot.  That can result in a
different interrupt being allocated.

> I really think that jumpers were easier than this! :-)

Only if you knew what you were doing.  :-)  It was easy enough to stuff up
and put two devices on the same interrupt, and normally interrupts in
those days were NOT sharable.  PCI is SO much nicer.

Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")