[H-GEN] HEADS UP: Debian for Kids

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Mon Jul 23 19:41:10 EDT 2001

>How hard would it be to make a special version of Debian Linux designed
just
>for kids? Like with customised packages, set up to be easy to use, games
for
>linuxforkids.org etc.

486's were pretty generic so if the hardware was standard maybe just burn a
cd of the hard drive after it is running and copy it to each new hard drive.
Obviously, if the hardware is not standard this may be more of a difficulty.
Even the P75 - 233's were not that different...slight Intel chipset
differences or Via chipsets but a generic install might be Ok ..

>Big thing is though it needs to be able to fit in a minimum of a 300Mb hard
>drive.

I am not sure that the base system, X-Windows, office packages and whatever
else they need would fit into 300 Mb and work at acceptable speed with a 486
with 8 Mb of RAM. Anyone tried this....most people I know that run 486's
with 8 Mb of RAM use the CLI which may not be what this group wants. The
Pentiums with 16 MB and an 850 might not be that great either - the hard
drive space would probably be OK but usually X-Windows likes a minimum of 32
Mb does it not?

A Pentium with 850 Mb HDD and 32 Mb RAM might be acceptable. Two * Mb RAM
sticks ought to be a lot easier to acquire than a legal Win 95/98. With
space restrictions they would probably be advised to run the A version of
Win 95 anyway.