[H-GEN] HEADS UP: Debian for Kids

David Findlay david_j_findlay at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 23 19:12:23 EDT 2001

How hard would it be to make a special version of Debian Linux designed just
for kids? Like with customised packages, set up to be easy to use, games for
linuxforkids.org etc. AJ: Do you reckon the Debian management would allow
something like that as part of the Debian project, or would it have to be a
separate thing?

Big thing is though it needs to be able to fit in a minimum of a 300Mb hard
drive. See my earlier post about PC's for Kids. We need to stand up and help
these people make the transition to Linux. I'll be at the next HUMBUG meeting
if anyone wants to help.

As far as I can see, it is just a matter of loading the base packages, then
customising all the rest, like getting rid of servers, preconfiguring
packages to work out of the box, etc. How long would it take to make a
customised version like this, with a custom easier-to-use installer?

David