[H-GEN] NetBSD?

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Sun Jul 15 21:31:40 EDT 2001

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Hi all.  Returning to your earlier question re NetBSD, I can't say
> directly about NetBSD but Linux has the best NAT/Masq s/w I've seen.

I had a dig around http://www.freebsd.org/ which indicated that there is
built in support for FTP and IRC in the Masquerading module (go to the FAQ
-> Networking -> Manpage references). I've also seen some references to a
different NAT module for OpenBSD (www.openbsd.org). Sorry I can't provide
more specific information -- but I do not use BSD as a firewall.

> I would be surprised if NetBSD had resolved those issues better than
> the Linux kernel developers because no one else has :) [1]

You need to get out more :-). CISCO IOS does just fine. I'd be surprised
if any major vendor does not provide support for active FTP at minimum,
and more likely, they will provide support for MS Netmeeting and kin.

Cheers,

Raymond
---
raymond at humbug.org.au                     All that we see, or seem,