[H-GEN] NetBSD?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Jul 16 04:23:50 EDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Raymond Smith wrote:

> I had a dig around http://www.freebsd.org/ which indicated that there is
> built in support for FTP and IRC in the Masquerading module (go to the FAQ

Ah, yep, forgot about FreeBSD :)

> -> Networking -> Manpage references). I've also seen some references to a
> different NAT module for OpenBSD (www.openbsd.org). Sorry I can't provide
> more specific information -- but I do not use BSD as a firewall.
>
> > I would be surprised if NetBSD had resolved those issues better than
> > the Linux kernel developers because no one else has :) [1]
>
> You need to get out more :-). CISCO IOS does just fine. I'd be surprised

Hehehe :) It is true to say it has been quite sometime (years) since I've
been actively interested in MASQ (been that long since I've needed it I
guess :)  I should have assumed people would eventually catch up :)

> if any major vendor does not provide support for active FTP at minimum,
> and more likely, they will provide support for MS Netmeeting and kin.

No Checkpoint FW-1 installation I've ever seen supports active FTP in
their NAT code.  Now I'm not sure if this is a mis-configuration or
not - previously I had just assumed that FW-1 didn't support active FTP.
Cheers,
	Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   Linux counter project ID #16440 (http://www.li.org)
   blake: up 10 days, 14:57,  8 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00