[H-GEN] linux.conf.au

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Mon Jan 22 03:16:11 EST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, John Ryland wrote:
> > The location for next year is not yet set.  Perhaps HUMBUG would like
> > to host it in Brisbane?
>
> That would be a cool idea. Maddog hinted at having it in Brisbane during
> Winter.

Really? When did he suggest that? (Certainly not when I was asking him how
he thought HUMBUG could support mom and pop users. He had some great
ideas.)

It would be very cool for next years conference to be in Brisbane. Does
this mean you are all volunteering to organise it?

> Would HUMBUG be cool with hosting a Linux conference even though it's
> not technically a LUG but encompasses all UNIXes and UNIX like
> operating systems.  Umm that's apparently a bad thing to say now, what
> did Maddog say again...  it's Linux like, not UNIX(TM) like... damn
> trademarks :)

:-) X/Open is the owner of the UNIX(tm) trademark; IANAL but I do not see
how holding a trademark gives you power over the use of your mark in a
similie. (Domestos(tm). It's like Coke(tm), but even better at cleaning.)

HUMBUG was happy to run the Linux Installfest, so I guess we would have no
philosophical objections to running a conference. On the other hand, I am
quite sure that I am already up to my arse in crocodiles, so who would
organise this Great White Shark?

Incidentally I am meant to be writting up my notes for AUUGN. I'm sure
they would love to get synopsises from anyone who attended. (check out
www.auug.org.au)

Raymond