[H-GEN] Using xdm to query remote hosts?

Damian Bickhoff dmpb at dingoblue.net.au
Sun Dec 9 21:55:00 EST 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:07:49PM +1000, ben.carlyle at invensys.com wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get xdm to query a remote xdm as a client using
> the chooser?

Following is a (not so) brief overview of how to get things running; if
I mention any steps you've already covered, feel free to ignore them.

Set up the application server (remote machine) to accept XDM requests,
this is usually in the Xaccess file (on Debian and Caldera this file
lives in /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess).  You can either use a line with a single
asterisk on it to accept connections from all hosts able to reach the
application server (not recommended for computers connected to the
Internet) or allow hosts on an individual basis.  The file should be
well-commented, anyway.

On the local side, the way you set things up depends on the location of
the application server -- if it's on the local subnet, you may wish to
use broadcast queries to discover local servers, otherwise you can
simply use the direct query option.  (There's also a way to indirectly
query servers, using a kind of "list server".)

For the broadcast method, run this:
	X :1 vt24 -broadcast

For the direct query method, run this:
	X :1 vt24 -query xdm.localnet

The "vt24" is the virtual terminal the X display will run on, and this
is the place to specify -depth, -dpi and anything else mentioned in the
Xserver(1) man page.  I still haven't found a nice mechanism to get
these servers running, since putting them in inittab does nasty things
to the screen.  (Output redirection needed, I guess?)

Hrm, after re-reading the xdm man page, I'm sure there must be another
way to do this . . .
--
damian, trying to get around to figuring out the Right Way to forward
	sounds as well.