[H-GEN] Linux Problems

Rob Kearey mammal at optushome.com.au
Wed Sep 6 21:22:32 EDT 2000

"Grant, Luke" wrote:

> When i was admining for ISP's I found that the WebExcel modem was
> by far the worst modem on the market. We had many more problems with
> them than any other modem we used in our racks. Stay away from a little
> used brand called "Opal-Modems" as they use the webexcel chipset.

Huh? What's a "web-excel" chipset?

The basic WebExcel (like what I use) uses a basic Rockwell chipset, and
works very well. If you're so inclined, you can flash it with Banksia
firmware and it'll be, well, a Banksia.

The later grey ones used the Cirrus chipset, which was adequate, but had
such a limited command set so as to make debugging problems nigh on
impossible.

[command strings for modems]

Without knowing the RAC gear being used by the ISP, it's just about
impossible to come up with an init string that'll improve things except
by chance. Some basics, however:

* Use V.42 and V.42bis exclusively. Juggling MNP can be problematic for
some
  RAC gear.
* Use hardware flow control.

--
Rob Kearey
President, Queensland University Musical Society