[H-GEN] Linux Problems

Grant, Luke lgrant at seven.com.au
Wed Sep 6 20:48:18 EDT 2000

I agree with this on every level.

When i was admining for ISP's I found that the WebExcel modem was
by far the worst modem on the market. We had many more problems with
them than any other modem we used in our racks. Stay away from a little
used brand called "Opal-Modems" as they use the webexcel chipset.

in the cheaper range of modems i have found th Banksia range to be pretty
good and if you are willing to spend a reasonable amount of money you can't
go
past the 'US-Robotic COURIER' range of modems.

If you realy can not afford to replace your modem you can always try adding
some
init strings to the dialup sequence. You will probably find that you are
using
"atz" or "at&f" if you have not changed any defaults. These are fairly basic
but will not help to rectify line problems. You should try something like
"at&f&c1&d2&k3" which seems to help many modems though if i remember
correctly the "k3"
conflicts in the webexcel....you might want to drop it.  You can also try
placeing a
cap on the connection speed for the handshake with a string like....
"at&f+M=1,11,28000,31200"
which would limit the speed to between 28k and 31.2k.   <-- Not entirely
sure if the +M should be +
Mn where n is a number....its been a while

Luke

Luke Grant
Systems Administrator
Seven Queensland.