[H-GEN] A question of users and time.

Martin Pool mbp at linuxcare.com.au
Fri Jun 2 11:31:53 EDT 2000

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Jim wrote:

> Is it possible for two users on the same machine to have different
> timezones associated with their sessions.

More than possible; it's simple.

Each user must just set the TZ variable to the name of the timezone they
wish to use.  For example:

$ ls -ld .
drwxr-sr-x  165 mbp      mbp         12288 Jun  3 01:29 .
$ date
Sat Jun  3 01:30:14 EST 2000
$ export TZ=Australia/Perth
$ ls -ld .
drwxr-sr-x  165 mbp      mbp         12288 Jun  2 23:29 .
$ date
Fri Jun  2 23:30:30 WST 2000

Unix stores most times as UTC internally, including file times.  You may
wish to use UTC as the default to keep the logs understandable.

--
Martin Pool, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990