[H-GEN] Dual Booting WinNT/RH6.2 with a dash of SCSI

john rogers jhnboy at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jul 20 11:14:25 EDT 2000

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Raymond Smith wrote:
> My current problem is that LILO appears to be broken.
nnoooooooo !

> Scenarios
>
> 1/ W2K all by itself -- all is well
> 2/ RH 6.2 all by itself -- all is well
> 3/ RH 6.2 installed. Try to install W2K barfs because it wants the
>    first sector of the disk or it is taking its ball and going home.

this should not matter, install NT then rerun LILO , to do this you will have
boot off inst cd or floppy,  mount the root disk, then run
"lilo -r /path/mountpoint"
 installing  LIlO onto MBR eg "boot=/dev/sda"

>    => Prob 1: I can't coerce W2K to install after a RH install on the
>       disk.
I cant coerce W2K to do anything :-)

> 4/ W2K installed and working. Install Linux either
> 	(a) LILO in MBR. Boot doesn't get past LI
stops at LI means cant run second stage loader,usally this is because of a
large first disk.  eg can`t read root partition.

> 	(b) LILO in another partition. When I try to get the
>	bootsector
>             from this by 'dd if=/dev/sda2 of=blah bs=512 count=1'
>             This boot sector is empty (all 0x0s).
>
> So basically LILO seems unable to cope with being far from the start of
> the SCSI disk? Does this sound right, or am I just going mad?

no not at all, a LILO limitation,  first partition should not go beyond 1024
cylinders .  this can be anywhere from 500Mb to 8Gb depending on your
BIOS/controller.

--
John Rogers
jhnboy at ozemail.com.au