[H-GEN] passwords

Tue Jul 18 02:11:24 EDT 2000

Daniel,

>    I'm looking at rolling out 10+ linux boxen, each to a different site.
>    each box will be acting as a firewall/proxy/mail server
>
>    I'd rather not set the passwords for the root and user account (there will
>    only be one) to the same thing on every box.

>    has anyone covered this ground before?
>    how do other sysadmin's handle passwords on large groups of *nix boxen
>    should we be looking at some sort of token based authentication instead?

I would suggest that you investigate ssh for the remote access,
disallow all logins as root and use sudo.  This is a very quick
answer and a more complete answer needs more details ;)

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter  | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au | what you think I said, but I am not sure
GPG key id F2FEBB36 | you realise that what you  heard  is not
Ph: +61 4 1126 2316 | what I meant.                  anonymous