[H-GEN] ssh

David Wood dwood at PIsoftware.com
Mon Jan 17 19:46:54 EST 2000

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 05:05:21PM +1000, Raymond Smith wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with the free Windows ssh clients?

I generally carry a CD with the Terra Term Pro software and my keys
when I travel, just in case I need to ssh from a friend's Windows box
or a friendly Internet cafe.  Terra Term Pro has an extension (hack)
to ssh-enable it.

The interface is OK, and it works, but IMHO it has these problems:

1.  It runs on Windows;
2.  You have to enter your passphrase once per session;
3.  There are way too many mouse clicks to choose your key;

On the positive side:

1.  Since you manually choose your key for each session, the keys can
be left on the CD - which you can then take with you.  This means you
can avoid scattering your keys all over the place and potentially
forgetting them.

I plan to look into the Cygnus port, now that I know that it exists.

--
Regards,
Dave