[H-GEN] Windows Compiler

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Tue Aug 1 19:53:08 EDT 2000

Simon,

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Simon Robertson wrote:
> I am doing well so far teaching myself 'c' in Linux and Unix, all thanks
> to you guys.

Great!

> So would anyone know of a program equal to MS Visual c++ 5.0 or Borland
> c++ 5.02 in features just not in price, possibly even a shareware or
> freeware?

I cannot help you with this question. But, I feel I should encourage you
to look beyond IDEs.

If you are serious about becomming a programmer then you should not limit
yourself to IDEs, and should also try out the 'UNIX-style' command line
compile/make/debug tools. This will give you a deeper understanding of
just what the IDE is doing.

I'd also suggest the book _The Pragmatic Programmer_ by Authors I forget.
They have a lot of useful advice for the beginner that is not language
specific.

Raymond

---
raymond at humbug.org.au                     All that we see, or seem,