[H-GEN] Cross-compiling Solaris versions (was Re: Linux on sparcstations)

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Thu Apr 27 09:43:17 EDT 2000

Ben Carlyle wrote:
> Oooh, this would be bad.
<snip>
> Paul Gearon wrote:
>
> > if an ioctl call for a device changes in the kernel then any programs
> > which call that function from user space will need to be re-compiled.

It's not actually as bad as it sounds.  ioctl functions rarely change at
all.  Generally if something needs to be done differently then an
entirely new ioctl function is created instead.  Things are only changed
if it is realised that the current way of doing things is _wrong_.

I only thought of it in relation to the Sparc kernel since it can be a
little more volatile than the x86 kernel.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")