Linux on sparcstations (was Re: [H-GEN] linux box just went dead)

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Wed Apr 26 01:42:16 EDT 2000

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 03:03:57PM +1000, James McPherson - Customer Technical Support Engineer wrote:
> That said, it's a pity you ain't got a sparc box ;| - I could give you a bit
> more help with that (and even more if you were running Solaris on it!)

Ah, just a quick diversion.  Is anyone on the list aware with issues
running X on a sparcstation 5?   I got hold of one recently (yes, Mark,
I'll pay you soon :) and X will simply not start, complaining about an
inappropriate ioctl when initialising the mouse (I don't have the exact
error on me, but can produce it on request).

It's a sparcstation 5, with a standard optical sun mouse and a cg6
framebuffer, running a 2.2.14 kernel and X 3.3.x for some high value of x.

I've done the requisit web search for details but the only pages that
return are annotated copies of the kernel sources.  Bah.

jason
--
The Patently Ridiculous:
http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US06025810__