[H-GEN] DNS and Sendmail

Luke Grant luke.g at uq.net.au
Sun Apr 9 23:42:36 EDT 2000

Firstly i would test that sendmail is running properly. If you ps auwx
|grep sendmail, some distributions of sendmail will tell you if they are
accepting connections on port 25. If this doesn't help try telnetting to
port 25. If this is not up then start again....sendmail is not working.

once you have port 25 up...test port 110. If both of these are up then try
setting your email app to look to the IP rather the domain name.

Luke

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Hilton Travis wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have been trying to set up my Linux box to process my mail.  I want to use
> fetchmail to suck mail from my ISP and then have Outlook (on my main
> machine) connect to my Linux box to both send and receive mail.  I have
> managed to struggle through most of the sendmail info I have found, but
> cannot get it to accept a connectin from Outlook to send mail through it.
>
> My network setup is as follows:
>
>  modem  - galahad.quark-au.com.local - albatross.quark-au.com.local
> 56kbps  - Mandrake 7.0.2, 2.2.14     - MS Windoze 2000 Pro, Outlook 2000
> dynamic - 192.168.100.1              - 192.168.100.11
>
> galahad.quark-au.com.local is also known as news, ns1 and mail
>
> I have got DNS (named) and sendmail running on galahad.  When albatross
> connects to galahad to send mail, albatross reports that "Your SMTP server
> has not responded in 60 seconds".  As soon as Outlook (albatross) attempts
> to send mail via mail.quark-au.com.local (galahad) I get the following error
> in /var/log/messages:
> galahad named[18159]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
> galahad.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa?
>
> I *thought* my DNS was set up correctly - obviously I screwed something up.
> I get the same error as above when I try to lookup an IP with nslookup on
> the Windows box (albatross).  I have no idea what this NXDOMAIN error is.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  I really want to get this sendmail thing
> figured out, and I think it has something to do with me screwing up the DNS.
>
> Regards,
> Hilton Travis
>

> --
> * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.

Luke Grant
mob#: 0413 317 952
mail: Luke.G at uq.net.au