[H-GEN] DNS and Sendmail

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Sun Apr 9 23:32:39 EDT 2000

Hi All,

I have been trying to set up my Linux box to process my mail.  I want to use
fetchmail to suck mail from my ISP and then have Outlook (on my main
machine) connect to my Linux box to both send and receive mail.  I have
managed to struggle through most of the sendmail info I have found, but
cannot get it to accept a connectin from Outlook to send mail through it.

My network setup is as follows:

 modem  - galahad.quark-au.com.local - albatross.quark-au.com.local
56kbps  - Mandrake 7.0.2, 2.2.14     - MS Windoze 2000 Pro, Outlook 2000
dynamic - 192.168.100.1              - 192.168.100.11

galahad.quark-au.com.local is also known as news, ns1 and mail

I have got DNS (named) and sendmail running on galahad.  When albatross
connects to galahad to send mail, albatross reports that "Your SMTP server
has not responded in 60 seconds".  As soon as Outlook (albatross) attempts
to send mail via mail.quark-au.com.local (galahad) I get the following error
in /var/log/messages:
galahad named[18159]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
galahad.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa?

I *thought* my DNS was set up correctly - obviously I screwed something up.
I get the same error as above when I try to lookup an IP with nslookup on
the Windows box (albatross).  I have no idea what this NXDOMAIN error is.

Any help would be appreciated.  I really want to get this sendmail thing
figured out, and I think it has something to do with me screwing up the DNS.

Regards,
Hilton Travis