[H-GEN] hardware hassles

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Thu Apr 6 00:41:43 EDT 2000

Sarah Hollings <sez at powerup.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> I'm having problems with my new HD install.  I'm beginning to think the
> 2nd IDE jumper on my m/b has gone, but maybe its something else.  It
> seems bizarre that that could go and IDE1 be OK.  Can anyone think of
> anything?

You did enable the second IDE controller in  the BIOS, right?

And the interrupt used by the second IDE channel is availalbe to the
motherboard PCI-IDE bridge (i.e. not marked as "legacy ISA" in your
BIOS)?

(Personally, I wouldn't be worried if the bios does not detect it.
The question is, does the *OS* detect it?  I have (oldish) pentium
sytems where the bios has trouble probing the second IDE channel).

cjb

--
 ------------------ Linux hackers do it in protected mode -------------------
 | Christopher Biggs - Software Engineer, Stallion Technologies, Australia  |