[H-GEN] hardware hassles

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 6 01:54:04 EDT 2000

On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems with my new HD install.  I'm beginning to think the
> 2nd IDE jumper on my m/b has gone, but maybe its something else.  It
> seems bizarre that that could go and IDE1 be OK.  Can anyone think of
> anything?

It certainly sounds like your second IDE channel is not travelling too well.

Some motherboards have a control either as a jumper on the board or as a
control in the bios itself...maybe integrated peripherals section or
something...that might be turned off. Check that...it is possible but most
likely not the problem but, hey, it costs little to look. I see a lot of
motherboards and I can not remember one where just one IDE channel has died.

Change the cable.... sometimes cables give problems...it is much more likely
your cable is a problem than your second IDE.

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au
Home Page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzfbrand