[H-GEN] Intellimouses

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Wed Apr 5 10:59:24 EDT 2000

Craig Eldershaw wrote:
> Section "Pointer"
>     Protocol    "IntelliMouse"
>     Device      "/dev/mouse"
>     Buttons 5
>     ZAxisMapping 4 5
> Endsection
>
> This maps the wheel to X buttons 4 and 5.

True, though I didn't know about the "Buttons 5" line.  Also, make sure
that Emulate3Buttons is NOT there (which is often is by default).  That
turns the wheel off.

However, this only works if it connects via a serial port.  If you're
using a PS/2 port (which many of us do now) then replace the Protocol
line with:
    Protocol    "IMPS/2"

...and of course be sure that /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/psaux and not
/dev/ttyS0  :-)

Also, you'll probably want to add to your .Xdefaults file to tell
netscape, xterm, and nxterm about scrolling.  I can't remember which
page I picked this up from, but I have included the bits which do this
for you.  It's not perfect, and occasionally X "forgets" that it's
sending these commands to the listed apps when buttons 4 and 5 are
pressed, but it's not too bad.

Anything based on Gnome will scroll without any configuration.
StarOffice also does it.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")