[H-GEN] Aid and Assistance Sought

Jason McDonald jasonm at foxboro.com.au
Mon Apr 3 04:09:59 EDT 2000

> > Remembering that I am a GOF [geriatric old fart] and on a pension, what
> > would be a better card to install to replace the SiS, just so I can get
> > Linux up and running, then maybe I can learn to tweak the system and install
> > upgrades etc.

If you're looking at getting a reasonably recent AGP 3D card secondhand, I
would recommend going for a Riva 128 or Riva TNT based card.  These are
well supported under Linux.  I have had a couple of different ASUS brand
cards running quite happily under Linux without any problems at all.

If you're looking for a (slightly older) 2D PCI card, I can vouch for the
Matrox Millenium II.  At one time this was probably the best 2D card on
the market.  I also had one running on Linux for well over a year without
any problems.

If you just want to run X and don't care about 3D games, a good 2D card
will get the job done just fine.  You should be able to pick up a good
secondhand 2D card very cheaply.

Happy hunting,
J.