[H-GEN] Aid and Assistance Sought

Michael Anthon mca at tams.com.au
Sun Apr 2 19:58:47 EDT 2000

If all you want to do is get X up and running and you are not after super
speed performance, I'd suggest getting a standard PCI S3 card.  I have had
many a machine with these cards and they work perfectly well.  The S3 is
apparently a little on the slow side, but I can't say that I have ever
compared it to anything else.  You should be able to pick one of these up
brand new for under $60, probably a lot less if you can find them second
hand.

The only thing to watch would be the amount of memory they have.  With a 1M
card you can only run 1024x768 with 256 colours.  If you want to run at this
res, then I'd suggest getting a card with 2M so you can go to 16 bit colour
(particularly if you want to run Netscape 8^)

Cheers
Michael Anthon