[H-GEN] 56k modem troubles

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sun Apr 2 07:22:43 EDT 2000

On Sun, 02 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently purchased an external AcerModem 56 Surf (model
> AME-MU00) as an upgrade to my old modem.  However, dialing into
> UQ has been problematic - I seem to get through the chat script
> ok every time, but it drops out during ppp negotiation with a
> "No network protocols running" - see
> http://www.uq.net.au/~zzbramar/ppp.log for a full attempt.
> Now, thats obviously not the case, as regularly without
> configuration change I actually get a connection.
>
> The system is running Debian, with the latest pppd etc.
> Modem configuration is as follows:
>
> E1 L1 M1 N1 Q0 T V1 W0 X4 &C1 &D2 &G0 &K3 &Q0 &R0 &S0 &T5 &X0 &Y0
> \G0 \K5 \N3 \V0 %C3 %E2
> S00:000 S01:000 S02:043 S03:013 S04:010 S05:008 S06:004 S07:045
> S08:004 S10:014 S11:080 S12:050 S30:000 S32:017 S33:019 S91:01
>
> I'm not quite sure where to go from here - dialing in at
> least twice for every conection is getting annoying.  I'm
> suspecting it might be something in my init string.  Any ideas?

Brad, I have used these modems a fair bit and they are generally first rate. I
have them working on machines that log into UQ without problem.

I tend to start with at&f for an init string. I find it works well.

Further, since UQ went to the current 56K setup with the Bay Series equipment I
often have trouble with my first loggin - especially when things are busy at
UQ. I often get an error message that my modem has sent a configuration request
but has not received a reply to its request. My second loggin attempt flies
through quickly (usually) but if things are very busy at UQ I may need a third
loggin. One theory advanced to me is that the Australian implimentation of 56K
is less that perfect. I would increase my timeout values to longer settings as
UQ may be taking considerable time to process your modem's request.

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au
Home Page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzfbrand