[H-GEN] Aid and Assistance Sought

Reg Voss regvoss at bigfoot.com
Sat Apr 1 21:04:44 EST 2000

Hi all,
Being an old and constant user of Microsoft, I thought that there had to be
a better system - i.e. NO blue screen of death, and when Corel Linux was
issued [free of course] I thought I would try it.  No luck!!
didn't like my monitor or card.
Not to be defeated, went out and bought [money involved] Linux-Mandrake 6.5.
Still doesn't like monitor/video card, but will load, only problem being
that where there is supposed to be writing, all I get is a black patch - is
this equiv to Blue screen of death??
Have tried to fix problem with Xconfigurator and xf86config using most of
the monitors and cards listed [both of which are in the lists provided] but
still no joy, only black patches.
Tried custom set-up using all possible permutations - again black patches.
All this of course is not helped by the mouse cursor, which most of the time
spends hiding in the top left corner of the screen and won't move, however
after numerous Ctrl+Alt+Backspace restarts, condescends to become a part of
the action.
Again mouseconfig is of no help.
My system set-up is:
	120MHz Pentium with Award Modular BIOS v4.51 PG with IntelCorp 82437FX430FX
Cache/DRAM controller Chipset.
	32 MB Memory [72 pin]
	Sony CPD-100ES 15inch Monitor
	Adapter is a SiS 6326 Chipset 6326 AGP rev Ho 4MB
	Sound Blaster 16 Sound card
	Maestro V90 56k Modem
	Epson Stylus Colour 400 Printer.
Any help of advice to get Linux up and running would be greatly appreciated,
and if anyone lives on the Southside of Brisbane around Logan City I am
available any time on 3388 6923 to receive your advice.

Regards

Reg Voss
GOF