[H-GEN] Compressing mail

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Thu Oct 14 15:21:48 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

At 14:43 14/10/99 +1000, you wrote:

>> My understanding is that the compressing of mail items is not very useful
>> with modern modems which compress before sending anyway. I have always
>> been led to believe that if an attachment is compressed and then goes
>> through the compression algorith of a modem then it emerges about the same
>> size. OTOH if it is left uncompressed and then compressed by the modem the
>> result is just about the same.
>
>V.42 does selective compression, so that's not a problem. Compressing
>large attachments gives useful savings between MTA's.

<speculation>Couldn't a whole-of-file compressor acheive better results
than a modem's block-at-a-time approach?

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Ltd.          |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only