[H-GEN] Compressing mail

Rob Kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 00:43:05 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

fbrand wrote:

> My understanding is that the compressing of mail items is not very useful
> with modern modems which compress before sending anyway. I have always
> been led to believe that if an attachment is compressed and then goes
> through the compression algorith of a modem then it emerges about the same
> size. OTOH if it is left uncompressed and then compressed by the modem the
> result is just about the same.

V.42 does selective compression, so that's not a problem. Compressing
large attachments gives useful savings between MTA's.

--
Robert Kearey           	Remote Access Group
ITS                     	University of Queensland