[H-GEN] Alston's censorship bill has passed

David Jericho davidj at in4free.com.au
Thu May 27 01:06:22 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs David Jericho <davidj at in4free.com.au>)

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 04:05:07AM +0000, Marc Dergacz wrote:
> I currently am an admin for a company who
> administers and install networks etc at schools
> around brisbane.  To my current understanding, it
> would be the education departments responsibility
> to implement all packet filtering firewalls.

Well, yes. But according to the bill, it'll be the schools job as
well. To put it simply, if your internet connection supplies end users,
you have to comply.

Assuming the schools system comes through Telstra, Telstra will have to filter
as they provide a carriage service to Education Queensland, Education
Queensland will have to filter, if they provide a carriage service to the
schools, and the schools will have to filter as they provide a service
to end users (students).

Oh, and thankfully after a discussion with our satellite feed, they have to
filter as well :)

--
David Jericho