[H-GEN] Alston's censorship bill has passed

Marc Dergacz excal at kermit.humbug.org.au
Thu May 27 00:05:07 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Marc Dergacz <excal at kermit.humbug.org.au>)

I am still reading though the ammendment at the
moment but i just wish to clarify a few things.

I currently am an admin for a company who
administers and install networks etc at schools
around brisbane.  To my current understanding, it
would be the education departments responsibility
to implement all packet filtering firewalls.
Correct?  Im a little concerned because of
preveous experiences with the Education Department
and worried that they are going to make it the
schools responsibility to make sure that all
banned sites are blocked.

I know they operate their own proxies (which are
fscked) but wether or not they are going to pay
somebody full time to sit and enter several
thousand deny entries in the squid cache is beyond
me.  I just hope it isnt me who has has to do this
to about 10 Various NT Servers and a few BSD
machines.

Any comments?

David Jericho wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs David Jericho <davidj at in4free.com.au>)
>

> [2] Having lived there, and co-sys oped a BBS with file quotas... no, the
> censorship definitely doesn't work. If people want it, they'll get it.

I wonder if this would cause a black market for
web porn? Or Web sites that open up with no online
P0rn content but mail pictures etc.  I know this
exists, but it may cause a major increased.

Watch mummy and daddy check their email and find
naked piccies of SMG or JLH.

> [3] Anyone want to jump on board with me? :)

i dont think there would be many people who
wouldnt agree with you.