[H-GEN] Routing

Marshall, Joshua MarshallJ at switch.aust.com
Wed May 26 00:42:06 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Marshall, Joshua" <MarshallJ at switch.aust.com>)

Just use the "proxyarp" option in the PPPD config at the server end.
Your PPP server will send fake ARP responses on behalf of the PPP
client, making it appear to be on the LAN.

I've got that setting in my config.  The message log reports it using
the correct ethernet device as well.  But the remote computer is only
accessible to the server, and vice-versa.  No other computers on the lan
can see it.  If I set up IP Masquerading, this will get it to work, but
the IP address is then the IP of the pppd server and there is an
inactivity timeout on all the connections.

Are there any other settings I should be looking at that might be
affecting proxyarp?

And if I put it on another subnet, how do I effectively route to it (as
opposed to forward to it)??

Cheers,
Josh.