[H-GEN] PPP Speeds

Ben Carlyle carlyle at tabq.com.au
Mon Mar 22 22:32:58 EST 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Ben Carlyle <carlyle at tabq.com.au>)

> I get a slower and more unreliable network connection in
> linux than I do
> in Windows or BeOs.  I connect using PPP with a 28.8 modem.  Thought
> Windows had some proprietry optimizing code or something until I
> installed BeOs.

Theoretically they should run at about the same speed.  If you
see major discrepancies you should check a few things:

o Are you dial strings identical for Linux, BeOS and Windows?
o Are you getting connections at the same speeds?

I'd be more inclined to blame your modem (and the commands that are being
sent to it) than an operating system, especially for speed trails of a
single continuos download.

If your speed problems are encountered as a result of using multiple
programs on a heavily loaded link then other factors such as block
sizes may come into play.

In short...
check your modem is doing the things you expect it to,
and only when you're sure things are identical on that
level should you move to blaming more abstract systems
such as pppd or linux.

The dial string that linux uses will probably be in your
chatscript.  If you run Redhat, then it will be in your
network configurator.  I suspect BeOS will have a reasonably
easy way to discern dial strings, also.

Have fun.