[H-GEN] DNS setup problem

Harry Phillips hfphillips at iname.com
Sun Jun 27 03:25:01 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Harry Phillips" <hfphillips at iname.com>)

Hi,

I am new to Unix/Linux. I have read everything I can get my hands on about
DNS.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have two PC's
networked at home 1 running Mandrake 6.0 the other Win95. The 95 PC doesn't
need to connect through my Linux PC to the Internet.

I have in my resolv.conf file
domain one.net.au
search one.net.au
nameserver 203.17.244.11
nameserver 203.17.244.12

my hosts.conf file is
order hosts,bind
multi on

I can dial my ISP using ppp and connect ok, I get my local IP address and
the remote address is the default gateway.

When I try to ping the first DNS server (203.17.244.11) I keep getting
duplicate replies from two other IP addresses. I don't get any reply from
the second DNS server at all.

I can ping IP's on the Internet eg 137.82.43.58 (axion.phyics.ubc.ca) but
when I try and ping say www.novell.com.au I get can't resolve IP address.

I KNOW it is a DNS problem but what? Should I make up a domain for my PC
rather than making it the same as my ISP? Should I use the IP numbers of the
two I get a response from when I try to ping 203.17.244.11? Is there
something else I need to check?

Please help I am sick of Microsoft's arrogance and need to flee to the land
of the free!!!

Regards
Harry