[H-GEN] Removeable Storage Devices

Craig Armour c.armour at kings.uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 17:13:26 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Craig Armour <c.armour at kings.uq.edu.au>)

David Jericho wrote:
> That'd be a function of the kernel level driver, not the mount binaries.
> For a real classic example of this, check out the Soundblaster CDROM driver
> code. It's nice and big and commented right at the top.

Ya huh... except that a zip drive, being writeable, requires the lock to
stop data corruption.  to change that, you'd have to edit the drivers
such that they don't cache any write data in memory and write directly
to disk.  this would (mostly) reduce the need to lock the disk but also
greatly reduce the percieved performance of the drive

Cheers
Craig
Craig Armour                    c.armour at cltr.uq.edu.au
System Administrator             Joyce Ackroyd Building
Language Lab, University of Queensland   phone 33656916
Comments are my own and not of my employer