[H-GEN] Removeable Storage Devices

Chris Baird cbaird at turing.une.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 07:56:34 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Chris Baird <cbaird at turing.une.edu.au>)

> Is it possible to use the drive without it being locked?  Perhaps instead
> the drive sends a signal to say that eject has been pressed, and unmounting
> can be done then?

I've no idea if Linux/non-NetBSD OSes follow this behaviour, but I can
send tar output to the raw device without the disk being locked.  (Do
you /need/ a filesystem? :)

And a NewsOS (Mips R3000 based) system of mine always sends an eject
command after the final close on a SCSI device. (Which is
annoying.. Disklabel-- put disk back in. Newfs--push disk back
in. Newsfs again with the right params--push disk back in...)

--
Chris,,