[H-GEN] Removeable Storage Devices

Byron Ellacott bellacott at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 11:45:46 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Byron Ellacott" <bellacott at hotmail.com>)

>Ya huh... except that a zip drive, being writeable, requires the lock to
>stop data corruption.  to change that, you'd have to edit the drivers
>such that they don't cache any write data in memory and write directly
>to disk.  this would (mostly) reduce the need to lock the disk but also
>greatly reduce the percieved performance of the drive

Kids, don't try this at home

mount -o rw,sync -t ext2 /dev/zda1 /mnt/zipdrive

(insert appropriate device name)

the "sync" option stands for Surely You Need Caching, or synchronous,
depending on which part of your body you are speaking from.  It makes things
ugly and slow.  It provides a little extra safety when a filesystem could be
removed from Linux control at very short notice (eg, *clik* oh, was I
supposed to shut down after making those important file changes?)

it won't stop the locking happening, though, that is a driver function.  Use
the Source, Luke.

Byron ``Only then will your training be complete'' Ellacott