[H-GEN] New Kernel compile fails to boot

Bruce Campbell bc at thehub.com.au
Mon Jul 12 07:37:19 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Bruce Campbell <bc at thehub.com.au>)

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Hilton Travis wrote:

> I tried to do my first kernel compile (2.2.10) this afternoon, and all
> seemed to go relatively well.  When I went to do a "make deps" the
> /usr/include/errno.h file failed on line 36 due to the following:
> file not found: bits/errno.h
> so I changed this line in errno.h to read /usr/include/errno.h and the
> compile proceeded without any failures.  I then did a make modules and make
> modules_install with no issues.

Ok, lets review the above paragraphs again.  You changed, a standard
include file, in order to compile something.

> CPU: Cyrix 6x86 2x Core/Bus Clock Stepping 06
> Kernel panic: Kernel compiled for Pentium+, requires TSC
> In swapper task - not syncing
>
> and then the system freezes.

Then, this happened.  Well, the flip answer is 'you were expecting it to
work?', however..

a) Your system include files appear to be mismatched for your kernel.
   Bleeding-edge linux'rs can inform you where to get the latest and
   greatest system include files.

> I chose the P/Pro/6x86 config when I ran "make xconfig".  I can email the
> config file I saved if necessary.

b) You have compiled the kernel for a specific cpu type (pentium+), try
   variations to see if it works (ie, a cyrix 586 would either be compiled
   for 486 or Pentium, depending on the phase of the moon etc)

c) Try a boring kernel without the fancy options to make sure that it at
   least boots on your hardware.

--==--
Bruce.