[H-GEN] New Kernel compile fails to boot

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Mon Jul 12 05:52:11 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Hilton Travis" <QuarkComputers at email.com>)

Hi All,

I tried to do my first kernel compile (2.2.10) this afternoon, and all
seemed to go relatively well.  When I went to do a "make deps" the
/usr/include/errno.h file failed on line 36 due to the following:
file not found: bits/errno.h
so I changed this line in errno.h to read /usr/include/errno.h and the
compile proceeded without any failures.  I then did a make modules and make
modules_install with no issues.

I ran make bzImage, and the kernel compiled with no errors.

When this new kernel boots, I get the following messages on screen:

Uncompressing Linux........Ok, booting the kernel.
Linux version 2.2.10 (root at foo.bar.com) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990
314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Mon Jul 12 18:27:12 EST 1999
Console: colour VGA+ 80*25
Calibrating delay loop... 133.12 BogoMIPS
Memory: 30460k/32768k available (1248k kernel code, 408k reserved, 596k
data, 56
k init)
Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode... Ok.
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: Cyrix 6x86 2x Core/Bus Clock Stepping 06
Kernel panic: Kernel compiled for Pentium+, requires TSC
In swapper task - not syncing

and then the system freezes.

As you can see, I have a Cyrix 6x86 PR-133+ CPU and 32MB RAM.  I also have a
1.44 FDD, LS-120, Quantum Fireball 6.4 HDD, EIDE ATAPI CD-ROM, Future Domain
TMC-1680 SCSI adapter and HP 3570A DAT (external), S3 Trio64V+ (2MB) and
D-Link Ether16 v2.3 ISA NIC (NE-2000 clone at 10/300) installed in this
system.

I compiled this kernel with IPMasq, firewall and all the options I could see
for using as a router/smb server/nfs server as I am trying to set this box
up as a router between my 10BaseT and 100BaseT computers here.  I want to
set an old Amiga 3000 up as my ppp box/firewall (that's all it needs to do)
but want to do that on this PC first (trying to get this working will be
easier than on the Amiga, methinks).

I chose the P/Pro/6x86 config when I ran "make xconfig".  I can email the
config file I saved if necessary.

Could someone please help here - I have no idea where to go from here.

Regards,
Hilton